Friday, July 2, 2010

Who hurt this little girl..

I know people reading this wonder who did this terrible thing to this little girl. Unfortunately, we may never know. My son, Jesse, her dad is paying for the crime even though I don't believe he is guilty. He is the one who discovered her having seizures and I honestly believe if he hadn't followed through on the impression he had to "check the baby" she would have died at that time. I don't say this because he's my son, and I can't believe he could ever do something monsterous as this, I say it because there are several circumstances surrounding the case that police refused to check out because they automatically assumed they had the culprit. Jesse fit the profile of a person who normally would perform this heinous act, he was between the age of 19 and 25 years old, male, the boyfriend (in this case the father of the child) of the mother. What they didn't consider was the discrepancies in stories by others who were left caring for Jaidah, changing stories about who she was left with, stories being spread to family members about what had happened to her before anyone even knew what the problem was, and other circumstances I don't feel free to discuss at this time, all lend creedance to the fact that there were some very dysfunctional people in the life of this little girl. I believe she was actually hurt on Thursday night well within the 72 hour timeframe for injury. Jesse called me on Friday the day before she went into seizures, wondering if she could be getting sick since she had been crying all day which wasn't typical for a baby that rarely cried. The fact that when she finally did go to sleep Friday evening she slept for over 18 hours without waking indicates that something was wrong prior to her seizing just two hours after finally waking that Saturday afternoon. The fact that her mother said she drank over 10 oz of formula at that time (she's never drank more than 5-6 oz at a time even to this date), but Jesse says the milk kept coming out of her mouth, indicates that she had aready been hurt enough that she had lost her sucking instinct. This statement by her mom is the main reason the specialists felt she could not have been hurt earlier than when she seized. If she could suck then she couldn't have already been hurt. But if in reality she wasn't sucking, then she really could have been hurt earlier. I really feel her head was already swelling from bleeding and her maximum swelling occurred when she finally went into seizures and coded. As I stated before in a previous post, after admission to Sacred Heart Children's Hospital she was waking up on the day that should have been her day of maximum swelling if she had been hurt on that Saturdy. The fact is there are six people who had access to her during the 72 hour period prior to admission to the hospital, and there are discrepancies in stories told by several of them. If Jesse did do this to his little girl, he deserves the punishment he was given and more, whether he is my son or not. No child deserves the pain and life changing injuries that were inflicted on this innocent baby. While I don't believe he is the perpetrator, I do blame him for not getting out of a situation that was not good for him or Jaidah before it led to this act. In that regard I do believe he has to face the consequences of his actions or in this case, the consequences of not taking action when he had a chance to change things. I believe the person who did this will suffer in the end and the guilt will eventually eat away at them. Unfortunately both Jesse's life, as well as her mother's, has been changed drastically too. They both have served time, Jesse accepted the Alford Plea which states "I do not plea guilty but if you take me to court you will probably find me guilty". However, this plea goes down on the record as a guilty plea and you are punished accordingly. Her mother was charged with child endangerment. Even the judge when accepting Jesse's plea told him she wished he had taken the case to trial but his public attorney had advised against it. He didn't want to risk Jesse getting 20+ years for something he didn't do. Even though he has not served prison time he has spent almost the last year in jail, and pre-release and will be on probation for another nine years and was given a sentence of 15 years on paper. He's been labeled a violent offender and this too will remain on his record for several years. They had a second child, a son born just nine months later, taken from them at the hospital by social services and he has since been adopted by his mother's side of the family. The person I feel who should have been the primary suspect, who had been left with Jaidah the previous night while Jesse was working, and while her mother was out, was just recently killed in a vehicular accident in which he was driving under the influence. The fact that he had a history of beating people, including his girlfriend while she was pregnant, and hating my son for trying to get her to leave him, made him someone who should have at least been looked at but life is what it is and we may never really never know who the monster was who dared to hurt one of Heavenly Father's littlest angels. Whether in this lifetime or the next, true justice will prevail not by our courts maybe, but the greater Court on High. I would love to know who hurt her just to have closure, but at this point it wouldn't change anything. The life of this sweet little girl has been changed forever and the lives of all those around her. What we need to do now is all we can to help her reach her full potential in life whatever that may be. I will spend the remainder of my life doing whatever I can to help her achieve this level and I will be her advocate in any and all ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment